Kaplan University - Great School!

4.9
Additional Fees
Scholarship, Grants and Programs

I was able to complete both my bachelor and master degrees at the school. I went through class with no problems.

I found that I got out of class what I put in. I had to do the work to study and remain diligent. I would recommend the school. I found the classes interesting and challenging.

My degrees are in business. I found the instructors engaging and helpful. They were also very knowledgeable.

The externship allowed me to be the sales manager at Kaplan Radio. I was also with a team able to run a corporation start up moving forward to sales and profitability using real-world possibilities and making corporate decisions based on my position in the virtual company.

Product or Service Mentioned: Kaplan University Program.

Reason of review: Good quality.

Kaplan University - Fraud

1.4
Additional Fees
Scholarship, Grants and Programs

Hi my name is Christina N. Mcquiston,

Fist let me start by saying I have read and followed most any and all complaints about Kaplan" formerly"( Maric) collage from all over the united states and from what I have read I believe to be undoubtedly true, I have personally dealt with .Kaplan University. Kaplan is an institution that not only misrepresent them selves and misleads each and every student "even if they are not aware" . Kaplan universities polices and practices are getting out of control and, I further more do not understand why they have not been closed down or investigated by the Department of education for unlawful practice's and misappropriation of government funds and student loans and further more fraud.

On December 12, 2007 I began Maric collage Bakersfield, located at 1914 Wible road Bakersfield, California As a student in the paralegal program in hope to fulfill my life long dream of obtaining a legal and professional career, unfortunately that was not the case . When entering Maric collage Of course I was told all about how wonderful this institution was and how Maric's Paralegal department was outstanding, Lead by Mr. J. Jameison Jr

As I started to really excel in the program obtaining honors and perfect attendance the school program director Becky Anderson had asked me to become the ambassador to the paralegal program ..ie; giving speeches and helping coordinate guest speakers to come visit the institution in hopes of furthering job placement for upcoming Grads, Of course I assumed the position with great hopes for this would really look great on my résumé. Well after about four months into my courses I had started to get bills for immediate payment, when I was told by my academic advisor that I would have no out of pocket expenses.. of course no matter what I paid the bills to keep in the program.

Well to speed up my story I started to really notice that not only the staff members but the students in the collage where being mislead or angered at the collage making students who transferred from " A real collage (Bakersfield community collage) with A's had been made to retake classes that they had already taken so that Kaplan would receive the full tuition Disbursements from all students. This really became a huge issue at the collage but also many students "me included" never received any of our living expenses, but were being asked for more moneys than originally told the program would cost.

So students and staff started to leave Kaplan under weird circumstances, then to find out it was due to staff trying to stand up for it's students rights, so they were terminated. Students leaving because of the overwhelming lack of understanding about why we were being charged different amounts and being forced to sign New contracts with the school, also charges for things we never received books, supplies, excreta.. during this time we had gone through three different program directors like MR. Anthony Halley and a few more came and gone.. We students also at this time started up a Law club, man they really tossed me to the wolves with this one . First they had let a student from the criminal justice program be the lead Present at first " allowing her to handle club moneys, but they never even bothered to do a back ground check on this person, even before letting her take criminal justice program .

well as time went on we worked with the staff members at Kaplan and any and all students of the cjp.(criminal justice and paralegal programs) earning money for the club to take students on educational field trip "jails district courts and so on.. Fist time a staff member mishandled the moneys from the club due to the director insistence that the staff at Kaplan keep the moneys in a safe place for the club, "Yeah right" it somehow just vanished, so of course we as students who had already made reservations in the city of San Francisco had to uphold our end of the bargain and make down payments to the destinations, we re organized the club and had opened our own bank account to maintain or hard earned money from bake sales serving dinners at the school to gather the money needed to put 70 students on the field trip,

So the president and secretary of the club were the only ones who had access to the money. well they decided one day to go and empty out the account and also have any and all moneys from the down payments made reimbursed to them "at there homes not the school.. when I found out I was outraged, I had went to Mrs. Becky Anderson to talk about what was going on and ask if she would aid me in reporting this issue to the police Becky said of course she would, then found out she could also be held liable and refused to help me prosecute these people for such an amoral crime, embezzling charitable funds and misappropriation of club funds and fraud.

So I myself called the police to make report well to find out that the president of the Law club at the time was using an alias name in fact she had three names known to the Bakersfield Police department ..I was in awe about this how did a person with previous criminal background and problems with the Law even get into a program that teaches law.

After all the turmoil I ended up with no charges and 70 student wanting there money paid, refunded again I went to Mrs. Becky Anderson for help she had verbally said she and the school would donate 700 dollars to help me pay back the students, even sent me a letter confirming the agreement . well when push came to shove she refused to comply with our agreement, and I personally held car washes ever weekend until each student was paid off, with the help of ex police officer now director of the CJP Anthony Haley and Mr. Ed Hammon we sent letters to Kaplan universities chair members informing them on the issues at hand with the collage and Tonya huerrta aka ex president of the Law club well needless to say that got us no where.

Further more this ended up being the tip of the ice burg.. a few months later I was told they where graduating out the Paralegal club at the Bakersfield compass and I had only had two classes left to complete my course studies, They told Mr Jameson he would no longer be needed and they could not afford to keep him on staff ..where was I in all this. left behind and pushed into Kaplan online I went from only needing to take one class of civ pro to being told I had needed six more months online( "more money" big rip off ) for the school. Also that I had to repeat classes I had gotten an A in, in the classroom setting, So I started to look at other options finding out that I had already been charge tuition for Kaplan on line and my Student loans were over lapping" really" how is that when I never signed any thing or agreed to go online" it just was not for me."

after checking into several other Universities I found out that was a bunch B.S., not to mention that they are supposed to be an accredited University, what that really means is they are an accredited school of higher learning, not an accredited University, a big difference.

It was disappointing to find out that a good majority of the credits and courses that I would earn from Kaplan would not transfer over to some of the other Universities I wanted to attend...

After investigated on my own I had found out that not only did Maric forged my signature when it changed its name to Kaplan university but It also over charged me for classes I never had to take. Putting me in such a outstanding debt with the Department of Education "unbelievable ". So here I am three years later no degree 17, 000.00 plus in loans .. trying to discharge this debt due to fraud and getting nothing but harassed every five minutes by the finance department from Kaplan and creditors, just today from 8 am to 11 am 12 calls from unknown numbers and collectors trying to get full payments from me . I believe this institution should be closed down and I know I am not the only one.

Phone: (661)836-6315

Hi my name is Christina N. Mcquiston,

Product or Service Mentioned: Kaplan University Program.

Reason of review: Problems with payment.

I didn't like: Bait and switch, No customer service, Misrepresentation.

Kaplan University - Program Review from Schererville, Indiana

I'm currently trying to get a class action Lawsuite against Kaplan College and Kaplan University please call Attorney Steve Alvarez at 219-662-6401. We need as many people as possible so please reach and pass this information to everyone so we can seek justice.

Tell Steve Duane Denisiuk sent you. Thank you if you need to reach me email me at denisiukduane@yahoo.com

Comments

Duane - Just read your review. I had a terrible experience with Kaplan, and now am being threatened by US Dept of Ed with wage garnishment to repay $25,000 worth of loans that I didn't get to actually use.

Are you still looking for people to join in a class action suit? If so, I would like to be involved!

to Anonymous #1504950

Yes, Iam but a lot of people are not responding so we need to gather names and possibly find another attorney to start the Lawsuite once we have enough people involved.

I was wondering if this was for multiple states? I am in NJ and would like to be apart of this lawsuit if possible.

I went to Kaplan University Online from 2010 - 2012 and right before I was about to graduate they send me a letter saying I owed them money out of pocket. Please email me and let me know if it is possible that I can get involved as well Melissa_Prusienski@aol.com

to Anonymous #1504953

Only Indiana but not sure how that works. Please stay active on this issue and gather other people with similarities. This is the only chance we have.

View more comments

Kaplan University - THE ONLY LESSON KAPLAN TOUGHT WAS LIES AND RIPOFF.

Kaplan University has robbed me of my education. This institution is supposed to be about learning and integrity however it has proven to be nothing but lies and pricey lies at that.

I attended Kaplan since 2011 completing my BA through 2015 where I was enrolled in the Masters Applied behavior analysts program. In 2014 I was charged with plagiarism as I did not properly cite a webpage image, I did cite it but it was in the wrong format. I appealed the charge however they denied my appeal and I was told by my advisor that it was just a warning. Knowing from Kaplan reached out or spoke to me about this charge and the only means of communication between me and the people determining the charge was email.

Sounds unfair but moving on. In 2015 I used three-four sentences from a previous paper I had written back in 2013 for Kaplan. I cited the quote I used properly and wrote the remaining paper. My professor came back to me and said my paper was plagiarized and was not my own work/ideas.

She then stated that she submitted it for plagiarism and furthermore stated that upon investigation it appeared I used parts/portion of my prior work.

Anyway long story short, again Kaplan charged me with plagiarism, I appealed this and yet again they denied my appeal. Yet again no communication besides there emails charging me with this charge. I had to hire a lawyer in order to reappear and communicate with Kaplan.

Kaplan has denied my lawyers appeal and has charged me with self plagiarism, which is a second charge. I was given an F in the class that I had perfect grades in, besides the one paper and dropped from the ABA program. I have since left Kaplan to continue my education. I felt I was treated unfair and they never even reached out or connected me concerning these charges.

These charges should have been handled differently, maybe as a learning experience or even loss of points but this is not stealing/plagiarism. This was a horrible experience and a waste of my time and money.

Kaplan University - Financial Aid Nightmare

So, I graduated on 10/29/2013 from Kaplan University out of Davenport, IA. I only went for my Associates degree, so professionally, I decided to seek my Bachelors also.

I had a lady named Margaret from "Continuing Students" sign, seal, and deliver everything that was needed for me to start my Bachelors degree on 11/06/2013. Margaret insisted that everything was in order and told me I was receive stipends for $1600+ dollars for each of the next 3 terms. 11/06/2013 came and I received a email from Margaret stating to sign into my classes to show attendance for the first day. I did and the next day received the financial aid summary for the term.

To my shock, I seen that not only did I only have enough financial aid for 2 of the next 3 terms, but my stipend would be a whopping $4. Kaplan failed to tell me that I reached the maximum amount of financial aid one students can receive in their lifetime. On 11/07/2013 I called Kaplan and withdrew from the program. 5 weeks later, I received a email stating I owe $491.

I call Kaplan and they state that because I posted attendance on 11/6/2013, that I was charged 10% of the $3900 term plus a $100 fee. The rude *** lady stated I owe $491 before my Associates degree would be sent out.

Then stated, I have a $128 pending Pell Grant they can put towards the fee.... NOTHING BUT A CLUSTER *** of a school!!!!

Kaplan University - Rude and unhelpful

I saw an ad online and sent them an email asking about a master's program. They called me up and wanted to offer me a bachelors.

I already have one. They told me I could get another. Sure, cause we all have that kind of money laying around to get duplicate degrees. Why would they advertise a master's program and then call you repeatedly for a lower degree?

Why were they objecting to me getting a masters? I told them I was not interested. They kept calling.

Then they sent their spammy junk mail. I finally had to block their number.

Product or Service Mentioned: Kaplan University Program.

Comments

LongLaker

Yes they are!

Please sign this petition and help me force Kaplan University into practicing what they preach. They have a zero tolerance for Plagiarism at the University, but it seems that this is only applicable to the students and not the University or its faculty. They have refused to recognize my work and I have been left with no choice other than ask then to cease and desist with the MyItConsultant.org website.

Long Lake, New York, United States #745944

Cause a B. S. is 4 years, which means more money for them

Kaplan University - They are and unorganized joke

They have horrible customer service, they arent open on the weekends, there online courses barely stream, textbooks do not match workbooks, the whole Real Estate Program is a joke. They tell me when I call to get the correct information on how to get through the course that I have the accurate information.I DONT OR I WOULDNT BE CALLING YOU GUYS OVER AND OVER!

i HAVE WASTED MORE TIME TRYING TO GET ANSWERS THAN GETTING LEGIT STUDY TIME.

WHAT A WASTE OF TIME. They arent open on weekends and have no one to help so I have lost so much time trying to get them to tell me the correct order of things!

Kaplan University - Put Them Out Of Business

I was looking for online colleges to earn my Master's Degree. Kaplan suckered me in by the 5 weeks of free tuition.

My tution went up a over a $1,000.00 per class because I was not a student from July to July. They never bothered to disclose this information upon enrolling. Then half way through the program I found out that my degree would not be worth anything, and no other university will transfer its credits.

Seems like when your mad or need information that can't answer your questions or they refuse to call you back. I do not know why this college is allowed to continue business.

Monetary Loss: $12000.

Kaplan University

I have went through my BA with Kaplan University with a 3.7 GPA. I started my MA with Kaplan University approx.

18 months ago, carrying a 3.5. I completed all my courses and have a total of 55 credits, and took my comprehensive exam class and they did not pass me. They told me due to the fact that I did not pass my last class, I would get completely kicked out of the program. I have paid them approx.

$75,000 on my degree and they will not let me finish. I need 5 credits and there telling me that I cannot finish!

I want to find others that got screwed over by Kaplan University and start a class action law suit in order to get my funds back, especially since they do not want provide me another chance to take the class, I offered to pay for it.

plynch1969@yahoo.com

#832096

i had the same problem with them and I am fighting me way back into the school I only had 5 credits of electives left to do and they kicked me out

Pandrgarnette
Davenport, Iowa, United States #779590
Actually after fighting with Kaplan, I found out that I should have had the chance to re-take the class anyway. I took the class again, and I have finally completed my Master's degree for all you smart *** people with snooty comments! :)

WOW! This is only just the beginning for me and they are not friendly at all!!!

The advisors hound you to sign up then you never hear from them again. I haven't even started classes and I'm already leaning toward plan B.

#722098

Your grammar is horrible! Just your first sentence is grammatically incorrect. It would "I went" NOT "I have went." That alone shows me you have no credibility and should not be in college.

to Melissa #739267

LOL

to Melissa #741719

Your obviously not very bright and don't understand English yourself!

Bellmore, New York, United States #583298

It look like a scheme because just before graduation and with one class left!: I get email that I'm a "drop off" with no reason. Immediately after, received a "Arbitration Agreement and Waiver of Jury Trial" state that I will be accepted back only if I sign it.

LOOKING FOR A GOOD LAWYER.

$45k flushed!

BE AWARE! They afraid of class action - may not survive this coming one.

Kaplan University if accredited. They would not be able to take Money from the government if they werent.

All educational facilities are over priced. All of them. If you want the convenience of taking classes online this is the risk that you take. Instead of going through a local college in your area.

Kaplan is costly I agree, But at your own risk.

Mind your business, we have taken stance for failing the test, but..... Kaplan needs to give everyone another chance to take the test so that we have not spent 18 months of our lives for nothing and $75,000 dollars!!

That is not the schools fault you were dismissed for failing your last course, take some responsibility for your actions

I have a few email addresses of indivduals who would like to join this class action lawsuit and try and either have the chance to take the course again to finish our degree and/or force Kaplan University to refund all our money that they have taken from us. Interested contact me by email.

Paula Garnette

Plynch1969@yahoo.com

to General Bellmore, New York, United States #583299

They got new idea how to avioid Class Action please read what happening now:

... just before graduation and with one class left!: I get email that I'm a "drop off" with no reason. Immediately after, received a "Arbitration Agreement and Waiver of Jury Trial" state that I will be accepted back only if I sign it. Agreement says that I will never sue them or join class action. In email, also included new TERM agreement supplement, and also re-entry fee! and FINANCIAL AID ACCEPTANCE - but ALL is already paid and I was drop by school with no reason! - looks like they wan't more money!

LOOKING FOR A GOOD LAWYER. $45k flushed!

BE AWARE! They afraid of class action - may not survive this coming one.

Yes I'm trying to get some people that this also has happened to as well as it did me, and find a lawyer to file a class action law suit against Kaplan. I feel that they should not be able to take 75 thousand from a person and not get their degree, this is not fair to anyone. Please email you contact information and I'll keep you information until I can find a lawyer and I will then be in contact Plynch1969@yahoo.com

:( I have been taken advantage of by Kaplan as well. I did all my coursework for my Masters in Psychology and I get down to the last class and they don't pass me.

First off if I completed ALL my classes then I have shown my knowledge of the material and it is not fair that they will tell you sorry no degree because of this one class. If anyone is planning to try and do something about this please let me know because I am all in.
Pandrgarnette

They will not give me another chance to take the exam! I have my transcripts but only need 5 credits to finish my degree and they will not allow me to come back and finish!

:roll sorry butIM from Nevada not vermont

I too have just found out I owe an amount of money that I cannot pay in order to even finish my classes which start today! I was told to go get two loans and get the denial letter and maybe just maybe they can help me with a kaplan choice loan.

I am devastated with almost 4 full years of Forensic Psychology and nothing now to show for. I say shame on you kaplan and also I am not finished until the fat lady sings.

To Amazed@aol.com,

Your a complete *** yourself, what a redic comment you made on a subject that you have no idea about. Keep you ugly comments to yourself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There is not a person in this world who deserves to be ripped off!

HEY GUYS CHECK THE BBB BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU I SIGNED UP FOR CLASSES THEN CHECKED THE BBB ONLY TO FIND OUT ITS NOT ACCREDIT SO IM WITHDRAWING FROM MY CLASSES THAT START ON THE 19TH.

Amazing! Your command of the written English language is horrific!

What were those GPA's you claim to have? You are a typical Kaplan University *** who deserves to be ripped off!

I have my transcript, and it shows 55 credits, but I still need the comp exam to get my degree completed, which an additional 5 credits.

#519289

i took the kaplan lsat course in nov 2009. i scored lower on the actual exam than i did before i took the course.

instead of refunding me, they simply deleted my attendance and said i was absent a few days and therefore was ineligible for my refund. they have an internal system of attendance that they control and something you cannot prove or dispute. i would have taken them to small claims court because i had all my notes from each day in my lsat practice book but i had just received a new job that was demanding so i lost all my money.

they are a total scam. stay away from them.

#519285
:( Yeah Kaplan is not all they want ppl to believe. They threatened to hold my BA hostage until I paid $1400.

Obviously nothing near what you've been taken for. Will they give u a transcript?
View more comments

Kaplan University

I finished my BA with Kaplan University, everything went well. I continued my education with Kaplan University Online for my MA in Psy.

I carreid a 3.5 the whole way to the end. I started my last class which they call the comp. exam class which consists of three papers. I did my papers, and apparently they were not good enough for the instructors who graded them.

I re-submitted my papers are carful review of fixing them, still no passing grade. With this, they kicked me out of the program and tell me I cannot finish my degree with them. I'm 42 yrs. old, 6 kids, and work full time, I feel that I deserve another chance to re-take the class and this seems completely un-ethical!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please help????????? Plynch1969@yahoo.com

Comments

Really! I really was not trying to show my Master student grammer in my post, just expressing some feelings.

I failed my Comp. exam class which is the last class, therefore they kick you out of the program! No if and or butts!

No 2nd chance, nothing. Not sure how they can take that much money from a student and then not help them to graduate.

From the posting, it seems like your grammar needs some work. These are Master level classes! What reason would Kaplan possibly have to not let you finish unless the work was substandard...think about it!